This cyclops cookie recipe is one of my favorites. It has a peanut butter cookie with a Hershey kiss in the center. With this recipe you get a puffy peanut butter cookie. I prefer that version to others that are crunchier.
We made these every Christmas when I was a kid, and now we are making them with my son. The original recipe came out of a Better Homes Cookies with Kids Book that we had. Unwrapping the kisses takes a bit of work, but the batter comes together really easily.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla to the mixture. Mix well.
- In a second bowl, combine dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, salt and soda.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Chill batter for one hour. This makes the dough easier to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Unwrap the Hershey kisses.
- Add the sugar for decoration to a bowl.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on un-greased cookie sheets. We use silpat cookie sheet mats to make clean up easier.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. As you pull the cookies from the oven, carefully press a Hershey kiss into the center of each.
- Cookies should cool overnight or for an hour in the refrigerator before stacking them for storage.
Share this Recipe